Friday, May 9, 2008

A "Mom" is a Job!

This is how my day went today....
4:30am- My sweet newborn Oliver woke up & refused to go back to sleep. He was ready to start his day, even though I was not!
6:30am- My alarm went off and now it was time to deal with the rest of the family. Get 'em up, showered, dressed, fed and send Ethan off to school. While the kids eat, I start my grocery list.

7:20am- Find Ethan in the bathroom cleaning off the back of toilet seat with toilet paper. Oooh No you di'int! With further investigation, not only did he pee on the back of toilet, he somehow managed to get it on the wall and on the floor right behind the toilet. Is there an invisible target he is shooting for? What a mess...oh yeah, and Eeww!
7:45am-Pack all 3 kids in the truck to drop Ethan off at school.
8:00am- With the remaining 2 kids already in car seats (and Oliver finally asleep) Let's do our grocery shopping.
8:20am- Oliver wakes up in the middle of my shopping. He won't stop crying and people are starting to stare.
8:40am- Stuck in checkout line with crying baby, a 2 1/2 yr old that keeps running away & and a new cashier who doesn't know what he's doing.
9:00am- unload groceries with crying baby in my arms. I get all the products that need to be in the fridge/freezer put away and leave the rest on the counter, so I can feed Oliver.
10:00am- After dozing off a little after nursing Oliver, I remembered, I need to check something on computer, then get sidetracked.
10:30am- Time to try to get the kids back in the car to pick up Ethan. Where's Aidan?
10:32am- Aidan in my bathroom with soap suds overflowing in the sink and all over himself...Great!
10:35am- Go downstairs after quickly cleaning up, to find Aidan climbing in refrigerator and dumping lemonade on the floor. Throw a towel down on the floor, grab the kids & head to Ethan's school.
11:00am- Ethan comes out of school holding a paper flower and a butterfly he did for me for Mother's Day. Aaah... So sweet! (and so far the highlight of my day.)
11:15am- Arrive back at home. Finish putting the rest of the groceries away, clean up lemonade, and start making lunch.
11:45am- Send Aidan upstairs to take a nap. Oliver wakes up, he's hungry again. Plop myself on the couch, find a good show to watch while I nurse. (and hopefully find tiime for a short nap.
12:15pm- Ethan is bored and bugging me. Guess I won't be napping today. Instead, we make Mother's Day cards for his grandmas.
And that was just the morning. But I am tired, and now I want to go to bed.

6 comments:

Hallie said...

Isn't that the way it goes??? I think the mother job is the hardest there is but it is also the BEST! You are doing a great job! Good thing for the little flowers Ethan made to brighten your day! Sometimes that is all it takes to get us through.

Anonymous said...

Afton,
Wow! What a busy morning. I know how that goes though! Motherhood is definately the most busy job I have ever had.
Jocelyn

Brittany said...

Yup, I've lived those days when you can't stay ahead of the little destroyers! Hopefully you made it through, it's not easy! Hang in there!

Me said...

i feel ya afton! i have those days all the time. my little middle child, tatum, is constantly keeping me cleaning up messes. no naps here either. but i do catch up on my tivo'd shows while i nurse hunter! My mom told me "a mother's work is never done" and she was right!

Anonymous said...

Hi Afton,
My blog is now private. Can you send me your email address so I can send you an invite to view it at jociejarman@hotmail.com
Hope you're doing great!
Jocelyn

Marissa Marie said...

Aww, that doesn't sound like much work!!! ;) Just kidding. It sounds like you have your hands full. But your kids sure are cute!