Monday, February 16, 2009

Happiness

Yesterday, I had to speak in church...it was bound to happen eventually. I have done pretty good about laying low, but it finally caught up with me. I gotta say...10 years is GREAT run! Anyway, I was asked to speak on Happiness. I thought I would be more nervous than I actually was, probably 'cause I really prepared myself. I think I did a pretty good job. Besides, I was in a pretty happy mood. The day before was Valentines Day. (Not a holiday my husband and I really celebrate) But he had scheduled us a babysitter and he took me out on a date. (Also something we haven't really done in 10 years...okay not really, but our dates are pretty infrequent) Anyway, we had dinner at the Macaroni Grill, which was nice for me because my husband hates Italian food. Then, he was nice enough to take me to a chick flick. I told him we could see an action flick, but he insisted it was a night for me so "Bride Wars" it was. I was amazed that Greg actually stayed awake for the whole movie. He limited his 'eye rolls' and 'under the breath' comments which made seeing the movie so much more enjoyable. It was a great night and I thank him for making it happen. I enjoyed our night very much and look forward to our next date. As far as my Happiness talk, I am not going to post that, but what I will post is a little recipe I came up with for Happiness....
(My husband thought it was little cheesy...it probably is, but I really like it! )

Recipe for Happiness

First, you start with a heaping scoop of scripture study. Preparedness is the key.
Don’t forget your prayers; you should probably add a dash of that, maybe two or three.
Blend in visits to the Temple, it’s quite a strong seasoning, baptisms for the dead and to be sealed for all eternity, well…the taste is really quite pleasing.
Gently fold in 10 commandments, and don’t forget the Word of Wisdom for goodness sake. But be sure not to stir too hard, we wish for them not to break.
But if they should, don’t fret, it’s a forgiving recipe. You can always substitute Repentance, if you whole heartedly ask forgiveness from Thee.
Add a service for others, then Set it aside and let it rise.
Soon you will see your Happiness has doubled in size.
Place it inside a loving home filled with warmth and cheer.
Serve up and enjoy your happiness with your family year after year.

4 comments:

Marissa Marie said...

I'm sure your talk was awesome! Now that they've discovered how well you do, you won't go another 10 years without an assignment!

Sera said...

Date nights are the best. I always feel better about... well, everything after a date night. We have not had very many either, especially since moving away from family and actually having to pay for a babysitter. But when we do I always wish for more.
Anyway, great poem. It is very creative! I don't think its cheesy at all!

Tammy said...

I love your happiness recipe Afton. You always have a big smile on your face so you must follow it pretty closely. I think you're a great mom. I read your posts and love keeping up on your family. Greg's Valentines date for you was pretty impressive too - sitting through Bride Wars was probably a bit of a sacrifice. What a guy!

Auntie Tammy

Brittany said...

That's really cute. How nice for a date - what would that be like?! ;)