skip to main |
skip to sidebar
So far...'Sew' good
For Christmas, my husband bought me a sewing machine. It was something I asked for, but wasn't sure how often I would use it. The reason I wanted one was for any little project that might require a sewing machine. (like hemming some pants or making a quilt) You see...for a Christmas present to my dad I had made him a quilt (something I have never done before), and when it came time to piece it together I had to drive to my mother in laws' house or my aunts' house to use their sewing machine while my kids were running around their house. NOT very convenient! So Christmas morning I was pleasantly surprised to see my sewing machine under our tree.
Greg gave me a project right away. He wants me to make him a quilt out of his old jeans, to take with him when he goes hunting. I am currently cutting the pieces to that, but am still a long way
from done. In the meantime, I decided to attempt a couple of projects of my own. I started off easy, and made bean bags for my kids to play with. No problem there. Then for a friend, I made some burp cloths for her new baby. Again, not too difficult. Since these were easy projects, I challenged myself. I'll try to make a shirt for Ethan out of left over material I had from my dad's quilt. Well, I did it! I couldn't believe it. Now, it is nothing that I would let Ethan wear in public because it looks horrible, the neck is to big and the sleeves are different lengths, but hey... I completed my goal...it does look like a shirt.
(Keep in mind, I was not working with a pattern, I was just using my little noggin.)
Greg, eager for me to learn how to use his fabulous gift, gave me another project. He wants me to hem a new pair of church pants for him. This is something I have never done, and have been putting off for as long as possible. (They've been hanging in our closet for about 6 months.) I had to read my instruction booklet on how to do a blind hem stitch. I did a couple of practice hems, and then it was time for the real thing. Fortunately, it was a success. Greg is happy too. He really needed a new pair of pants. I'm just glad the legs were the same length, unlike Ethan's shirt sleeves. I guess I have found many uses for my sewing machine after all.
2 comments:
WOW!!! You did GREAT on your projects! I am VERY impressed with the shirt!!!! I can't make squat, and if I do people turn their heads to see if they can figure out what it is they're looking at. ha ha ha Way to go!
I didn't know you could hem pants on a machine. My mom always did it by hand. Now I guess I have no excuse to use my sewing machine I got 2 Christmases ago! I love all of your projects.
Post a Comment