Monday, July 14, 2008

Colorado - 4th of July Weekend

I LOVE the month of July. The 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays, we tend to take our vacations in July, and to top it all off, my birthday is in July. (But there will be other posts about that.) Moving on! Our family just spent a wonderful week long vacation in Colorado at my parents newly remodeled cabin, or should I say summer home. WOW! I was not expecting what I saw. They had a great contractor. There is so much more space, enough to accommodate our entire family. Sweet! (I will have to do a separate post on the cabin, and show you before and after pictures, but I just don't have those pictures at this present time.)
Almost everyone was able to come up for the 4th of July. My brother Cole and his family were able to spend a week. Christian and his girlfriend Liz came up for a few days, but unfortunately, my brother Aaron was unable to make the trip. We missed him! :(
The weather was so nice, and we usually got cloud cover and light rain in the afternoons. The boys (and dogs) loved it! There was so much land for them to run around and play on. Of course, they didn't want to do anything unless Nana joined them. Poor mom, those kids just had too much energy for her to keep up with. They hiked up and down the hills, hunted for beaver, played in the fort. And when they needed a rest they would come inside and play video games with their cousins.
Greg enjoyed his time there too. He brought plenty of guns and ammo to shoot. He played some golf with my brothers. He took hikes down to the beaver creek with the kids, he took plenty of naps, and of course his favorite, watching the "Planet Earth" DVD's on the 72" HDTV in the theater room of the cabin, on the lazy boys, enjoying a bowl of trail mix.
After dinner and the sun went down, and the kids were either in bed or watching a movie, the adults would gather around the table for some fun and games. We played our favorite card game, progressive rummy. Followed by a late night movie and some popcorn. (Greg compared it to being on a cruise but without the midnight buffet.)
One day, we rounded up the kids and went to the neighbors house so they could ride a horse and take some various "cowboy" pictures. My mom wanted to get some cute pictures of her grandsons that she could hang them in the boys' room at the cabin. We had a lot of fun doing that. Although Ethan and Aidan were both hesitant at first, we finally got them in the saddle.

In short, we had a blast!
Thanks mom and dad for inviting us to spend the holiday with you in Colorado. See you in a few weeks!
To view more pictures of our trip click on picture below
Colorado - July 4th 2008


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Afton,
That sounds like a great trip. THe pic of your kids on the bull is so cute.

wanda said...

Fabulous pictures! I would love to see the cabin in person.

Brittany said...

That is so much fun!!! I am glad you guys got to go. The time I spent at your cabin will live on in my memory forever! :) I'm sure it'll be the same with your boys. ;)