After I left work, I picked the kids up from the sitters and then headed home. Ethan and Aidan wanted to ride their bikes outside while I made dinner. That was fine by me...didn't feel like screaming at them for running wild in the house. Ya know...normally that would be fine, but it was a long day at work and I just didn't have the energy. I put Oliver in his high chair and gave him some crumbs to nibble. He, too, was not in the best of moods...running a bit of a fever. Greg had just left to go help on a service project for the Young Men in our ward. I stand in the kitchen alone with a few moments of silence (aside from the music I was listening to) when Ethan comes in to tell me that the neighbor wanted to talk to me. My first thought..."I really hope you didn't poop in their yard." I walk outside to see my neighbor standing in the street, hands on her hips and giving me the stare down with her head half-cocked. (This might be a tad long)
Me: "Hell..." I am quickly interrupted, I could not finish my greeting.
Neighbor: Can you please tell me why your husband pulled my plant out!
Me: Huh? (very confused) Excuse me?
Neighbor: Your son told me that your husband destroyed my plant! And that he did it to be mean! Why would he do that?! I don't come on to your property and do those things!!!
Me: I am sorry. I have no idea what you are talking about. I never saw my husband do anything. Did you?
Neighbor: No, I didn't see him, but your son said it happened...why would he make that up?!
***Let's think about this for a minute....People....do 6 yr olds ever tell the truth when they think they are in trouble? C'mon lady...really?****
Me: Well...he is only 6. He is known to come up with some real whoppers. (a.k.a. lies)
Neighbor: If your husband is a "hater" then he doesn't belong in this neighborhood!! If I had a problem with you guys then I would come to you and settle it like adults. I wouldn't come on your property and destroy it!
Me: You don't even know it was him.
Neighbor: Who else would have done it? Who?! (ah..yeah...like my 33 yr old husband has nothing better to do than pull your weeds?)
Me: I am sorry, but I am not sure what you want me to do?
Neighbor: Oh! I know what I am going to do! I am going to call the cops!
Me: And tell them what!? You didn't see anything! You don't know that my husband pulled your plant! It could have been your own son.
Neighbor: My child was not raised that way! He knows better! Get inside son, you are not allowed to play with those kids anymore! **hand gesture** Stay off my property!!
Me: Ok!
That is pretty much what took place....and a about 30-40 minutes later....knock, knock...the cops show up! Busted!
Cop: Is your husband home?
Me: Nope. He is at the church doing a service project.
Cop: Oh....do you know so and so, he goes to that church?
Me: No, but I know Officer Stant....he is our home teacher. : )
Cop: Oh yeah...I know him. Good guy. Well, basically she is really upset about her plant. (ya think?) Hopefully you guys can resolve this, but I would suggest you stay off her property.
Me: No problem.
Cop: Have a good night.
Now, I am not gonna say my son is innocent. It definitely sounds like something he could have done, but calling the cops....seriously? Some of you might ask, why would Ethan say something like that? Why would he blame his dad? This is how I envisioned the first few minutes of neighbor and Ethan before he came and got me...
Neighbor to Ethan (or Scary Lady with mean look on face to scared 6 yr old): Did you pull out my plant?!
Ethan: (scared look on face, eyes big, shoulders back, chin down) no.
Neighbor: Then who did?!
Ethan: umm....maybe... my dad did?
Neighbor: Get your mommy out here!
It sounds plausible, right? Anyway, she must of really got Ethan scared or nervous when she started mentioning cops because when we got back in the house...Ethan had crapped his pants!







6 comments:
Wow, that's crazy!! Some people are so sure that the world is out to get them. Like we have nothing better to do than pull out their plants.
That is amazing (and not in a good way!) Maybe Greg should rig a surveillance camera to catch the bush stealer:}
Afton your stories about your boys are so funny. They sound like Keith's stories of him and his brothers when they were growing up. They really do. Next thing you know they'll be stealing from their uncle's grocery store and burying the money in a vacant lot. Maybe you should ask Keith about that little story. Great stories he can tell and they always make me laugh. So do yours.
My goodness! That is horrible! The poor little kid! I'm glad the cop was nice to you. Here's hoping tomorrow is better!
Oh Afton! That's just awful! What a lousy neighbor. To call the cops even. That's just absurd. I really hope that the truth comes out. But how funny that you mention Church and they ask if you know so and so. Like you would know every single member in the church! HA.
What a waste of police resources. Oh my. COme over to Cobblestone. :)
Wow! Some neighbors are really strange! We have one of those next to us here in CT. It drives me nuts!
Post a Comment