Monday, February 15, 2010

Spring Musical

A few weeks ago, Ethan came home from school and handed me his folder. Inside the folder was a list of available after school clubs/ programs that a child could sign up for. Ethan was already apart of the running club but I asked him if there was another club he wanted to join. Much to my surprise, he excitedly stated that he wanted to be in the spring musical. My eyes just about popped outta my head! "What?! Really?!!" I exclaimed. I could not believe the words that came out of his mouth or the words that followed, "...it would be awesome, you like talk, and like sing and stuff and like people watch you." I was floored! I know he loves music and singing, but the acting thing is kind of new to me. I LOVE the performing arts so I am thrilled that Ethan seems to have the same kind of interest. I happily agreed and signed him up.

A couple days later, I went to the informational meeting to get the scoop. They are doing a shortened version of "Annie". Hmmm....not too many male roles in that one. They gave us a list of characters and I asked Ethan which one he wanted to audition for. (yes, audition)There was Rooster, or Daddy Warbucks, or....Ethan interrupts me and says, "I wanna be the police officer." He points to the character list of "extras" and there was 'police officer'. Yep.....definitely an 'Ethan' role. So we got a script and the song and went to practicing. (Okay, we really didn't practice. I completely forgot about it and Sunday night rolled around I realized auditions were the next day) I felt horrible. I grabbed Ethan, ran thru the first verse of "A Hard-Knock Life" and highlighted his lines on the script. We ran thru them a couple times and then he asked if we could be done with practicing.

The next day, I drove to his school to run thru his lines with him before he auditioned. It only took a couple run-throughs and he had it down perfect. The auditions were "closed" so parents couldn't see them. It has been a week of suspense for me as I wait to hear if he got the part or A part or not. (Ethan didn't really seem to care one way or another) He must have nailed his audition because HE MADE IT!!!! He got the part of "policeman" and "dog catcher"!!!! I am so EXCITED and so PROUD of my little man! Yay!

3 comments:

Brittany said...

That's so awesome! I can't wait to hear how the play goes! Yay, Ethan!

PS The pics of your kids are darling!!!!

Lisa said...

Yayyy!! That is too darn cute :)

Portraits by Robin Lee said...

That's so cool. That's so crazy too because London just tried out and made one of the background orphans in the play Annie Jr. out here in Gilbert. How wierd. We are excited too. How are you enjoying the driving to and fro? Man it's time consuming! Good luck Ethan, break a leg!