Thursday, May 20, 2010

I'm an AWESOME mom!

I'm an AWESOME mom! That is what Aidan told me after I fixed his bike. Normally, I would brush it off like it was no big deal. I mean, really, what is the big deal? Greg showed me once how to change a flat; take the wheel off, take the tire off the wheel, take the tube out of the tire, put a new tube in, put the tire back on the wheel, put the wheel back on the bike. Sounds simple, right? Nothing I couldn't handle, and in 20 minutes his bike was up and rolling again. No big deal. He took his bike for a test-run and it was perfect. He rode up to me with a huge a grin on his face, and said, "You are an AWESOME mom! It totally works!!". And then Ethan nicely commented to me, "good job mom". Then it struck me....it was a big deal. It was a big deal to him that I took the time out of my day to fix something he so desperately wanted fix, so that he could ride bikes with his big brother. It was a big deal....to see him happy and know it was my fixing his bike that did that. It was a big deal....that I learned how to fix a tire so I could be prepared for this very instance. It was a BIG deal.
I've never really paid attention to the small things as being big deals. I never gave myself any credit for the little things I did. I've never thought of myself as an awesome mom. I struggle with motherhood daily. I never think I am doing a good job. I all too often focus on the bad and not on the good. I always feel like other moms are way better than I am. Other moms do way more for their kids than I do. I feel like so many other moms have their life more in order and put together than I ever will. I never think my kids ever appreciate me. So thank you Aidan for thinking I am awesome. Thank you Ethan for telling me I did a good job. I really needed to hear those things.
That day, for the first time in a long time, I really felt like an awesome mom.
I AM AN AWESOME MOM!










1 comment:

Morris Thurston said...

You're an awesome blogger too! And I always love your pictures.