Thursday, May 20, 2010

Stranger?

Okay....ONE more post....

This week in Aidan's preschool I have been teaching them about safety and stranger danger. I was very impressed that all the preschool kids already "knew" to dial 9-1-1 in case of an emergency and to run away from strangers. They seemed to be listening and answering all the questions correctly. Tuesday after preschool, Aidan was riding his bike in the front drive. I was unloading groceries from the car. Over at my neighbors house, there was a man there who has been there the last few days to try to clean up the yard for a new couple moving into the house. His truck was in their driveway. After I unloaded all the groceries I called for Aidan to come in. He didn't respond. I walked further out into the yard and called for him again and heard his little voice say from behind the man's truck, "over here mom". I walked around the truck all the while hearing him a big belly laugh. I asked what was going on and the man told me what had happened.....

Aidan: (riding up to the 'stranger') HI! My name is Aidan. I am not supposed to talk to strangers, but you're a nice stranger.
Stranger: Okay, thanks Aidan.
Aidan: Hey!? How'd you know my name?
Stranger: You just told me
Aidan: Oh.
Me: Whats going on Aidan?
Aidan: Hi mom, I know I'm not supposed to talk to strangers, but he is a really nice stranger. He knows my name too.

I started to laugh too. The man was really nice, and he said he has had the same talk with his little kids. I chatted with him a bit and then gathered the kids into the house. I was walking into the house I told Aidan I didn't think he quite understood my lesson today. He said, "I know....I am not supposed to talk to strangers, but mom, he was a Nice stranger." I guess I still need to work with him on that.

No comments: