*SIGH* Ethan, I love you, but YOU are very crafty! (And when I say crafty, I mean devious)
How do I get this boy under control? I have mentioned in older posts that Ethan is a bit of a troublemaker at school. He just cannot sit still. He does not listen well. He likes to do his own thing and NOT pay attention. His teacher has a "star system" and if a child misbehaves he has to move his star down, and each time he moves it down he loses a bit of recess time. If he behaves well, the star remains at the top of the charts. If that happens, they receive a star stamp and if they stay at the top for the entire week, the children get to pick a prize out of the treasure box. I have been working with Ethan the entire school year. Figuring out ways to reward him when he behaves and praise him for all the good works he does and when he misbehaves trying to figure out an appropriate consequence to fit the crime. It does not seem to be helping because this child will do whatever he pleases, whenever he pleases. He does not listen! Now I am not saying he is a bad kid. He is actually a GREAT kid! He is very helpful, loving and kind...when he wants to be. He is incredibly smart. And when he decides to actually pay attention in class he excels! In fact, he is an incredible speller. He always aces the pretest for spelling so he never has to take the actual test and that earns himself extra playtime on Fridays. Just last week he aced the pre-test and got 2 out of the 5 challenge words correct!
(Sidenote: these were the challenge words; natural, pollution, aside, resources, and eggshells. He got aside and eggshells correct. This is how he spelled the other three; nachril, polooshun, recorses....I just thought those mispellings were so cute. He did a great job of sounding them out!)
Okay, back to what I was saying before. He really is a smart kid, but we have our troubles with him and I just do not know what to do. On Friday, I was talking with his teacher about the week. She said he struggled alot in class this week and didn't stay at top. She was sad because the week before he did so GOOD at keeping his star at the top of the charts. I interrupted her saying that he did stay at top on Tuesday. She looked at me and said, no he didn't. I said, Yes, he did. He had a star stamp on his hand. I remember because I let him stay up a little later that night. His teacher hung her head down low and said she was hoping it wasn't true. I asked her to explain. She said that on Tuesday she had to leave early so Ethan's class was walked out to "pick-up" with another teacher. (Ethan has play practice on Tuesday and stays on campus) She said another teacher had seen Ethan go back into the classroom for something and came back out a few minutes later. I was stunned! I didn't know what to say or do. I asked Ethan why he snuck back in to the room to stamp his own hand. (as if i didn't already know) He said he wanted to get a "special".
So now what? Suggesstions? Anyone? This kid is getting sneakier everyday! Help!
Watch Life in a Metro 2007 Subtitled English HD
5 years ago







4 comments:
Sorry, but that kid shows signs of true genius.
He didn't lie he told you exactly why he did it - which makes him very unsneaky. Just very matter of fact and straightforward. It seemed like a great opportunity to take advantage of so he did. You're right he is smart. He is a cute little boy!
um, did you just describe my Tatum? :) I think we'd better keep Ethan and Tatum apart for fear of massive destruction. :)
Dare I say it's because they are incredibly intellegent?
You don't know me but I have a daughter with a similar situation and thought her experience might help you. After a year of problems with her son and the school she finally agreed to have him evaluated by a doctor for ADHA. The school filled out two evaluations, two teachers that had worked with him, as well as my daughter. He has the Hyper Activity part not the attention deficit. He was put on medication which helped lots at home and some at school. She finally took him out of school and did home school. That was solution for a few months but not for the next year. She talked with the doctor again and just found there is a law that says if a child has HA the school has to make adjustments in the system so that the child can continue to learn. Part of that adjustment can be making the curriculum more challenging for him. I'm not sure how well this will work for my grandson but I know part of the problem is that he is bored. I have been a teacher for twenty-three years and I know children misbehave when they are not busy and challenged. It's hard as a teacher to keep all children challenged at a level that is right for them at all times but at least part of the day he should be challenged. My daughter lives in South Carolina so the law may only be a SC law but I doubt it. If you want more info you may email me at grandmahelen9@gmail.com. Good luck!
Post a Comment